Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Hints of a White December

Today I woke up to the sound of joyful laughter, rising like music from the road below. I grunted irritably and buried my face in the covers. That early in the morning, laughter sounds about as melodious as a garbage truck.

Even through the covers, I caught the word snow. It was true -- lacy clumps of snowflakes spiraled past my window to melt on the wet asphalt. I called to Whitman with such vehemence that he thought at first that we had both slept in until noon. "Whitman! Wake up, wake up! It's snowing!"

We both tumbled out of bed and into our respective closets. (I love first-snow, but not enough to go out in it barefoot.) Shod, I ran down the stairs to find that it was already sticking, in drifts and clumps, chasing away last night's legacy of rain. I stood with my arms open and laughed as the flakes melted on my upturned face. Whitman joined me in a minute, camera in hand; I left him there, rejoicing, as I climbed back upstairs to get ready for class.

I met Peter on the stairs. "It's snowing!" we said, simultaneously, grinning hugely. I don't know why anyone from upstate New York would be excited for the first of so many snows -- he knows better than anyone what we're in for -- but there's something about the first good flurry that seems to make the world new.

3 comments:

  1. I know Whit is from Texas, though his parents hail from New England. Was this a momentous occasion for him?
    We had gale-force winds and lots of rain. Thanks be to the heavens that we did not get snow--yet. It is just too depressing. I am very happy that you loved it so.
    love,mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not Whit's first snow, but he loves snow and rain and thunderstorms. He's a lot like Dad that way, always noting the weather and interested in the sky. Relatedly, Orion is over the horizon again! Has been for awhile, of course, but every week he climbs higher. It's really winter now.

    It's still snowing, and has been almost continuously for the past three days. It's big, fluffy fairytale snow. It hasn't been sticking because the ground's so warm, so we're all dancing in snowflakes rather than trudging through them. I would much rather have such amenable flurries than cold rain! So far ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Griff-
    One of my all time favorite quotes is from Mary Oliver; "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
    You are so loaded with gifts and talents that your options are beyond endless but I hope that whatever you and the Almighty come up with for your one wild and precious life it includes writing because you can flat out write.
    Paz,
    Padre

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! (Comments are the best part of having a blog. No lie.)