Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Good News!

So, the good news is a little dated, but I'm done with exams and home for break and free until February 5th.

The very good news is that I already know February is a long way away, and I don't plan to spend my Winter Term lolling around doing nothing. So I have hatched a Plan. It's called A Project a Day -- my, I've been fond of capital letters lately -- and it is exactly what it sounds like. I'm creating one thing per day until I go back to Oberlin.

The rules are simple: blog entries and food for myself don't count, but most everything else does. I can do two things to make up for missing a day. And I can count something on any day I work on it, from beginning it to the day I finish; but only one, no matter how big the project is.

So far, I've made two fleece hats, repaired my foam sword collection, and started a tool box made out of a book. (Don't worry -- it was a terrible book.) Tonight I'm making quill pens out of some goose feathers I found two summers ago. If that proves too difficult, I might make those tomorrow, and a Keep Best Practices sheet and spring KitchPoCo plan today. Choices, choices ...

I'll periodically post tidbits about my favorite projects. For now, here is a picture of the wolf hat:

The hat, against a stunning backdrop of my upstairs bathroom

I've always been exasperated with poorly-taken photos of handmade things, but I'm more sympathetic now ... this is take eight of ten. By the way, although you can't see them, there are earbuds sewn into the hat to allow for cold-weather rocking. Chyeah.

Anyway, now for the very, very good news: I got a job as an Oberlin blogger! You know what, that deserves two exclamation points, grammatical etiquette be ... darned. I got a job as an Oberlin blogger!! And I get to have one of my favorite people for a boss. (She reads this blog, but take me seriously anyway. If you want proof of her awesomeness, check out her blog.) There are also bonus perks like blogger socials and getting paid.

When the new blog is up, I'll post a link, but I'm going to keep posting here as well. Nobody in the wide and wonderful world of prospective students wants to hear about my escapades thrice weekly -- or, for that matter, needs to know about occasional bike theft or that only-slightly-illegal foray into the Arb. I'll probably post here twice a week, since I'm expected to post quality biweekly entries over at the Real Blog. Oh, the possibilities ...

With that, loyal readers, good night. I should get busy with those quill pens!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! (Comments are the best part of having a blog. No lie.)