Monday, January 31, 2011

Traffic Savvy

Thanks for bearing with the irregular updates over the past few weeks. I haven't been too busy to blog -- just the opposite. I have plenty of time to blog, but nothing to write about. "Dear relatives, today I did the dishes and took out the compost." "Dear relatives, I played Jak II (a PS2 game) today and beat seven straight missions before my eyeballs melted."

Today, however, I have a topic. I'm going to tell you all about my Traffic Adventure. First, though, I had a truly lovely lunch with Grandma at La Luna, including a peanut butter chocolate cake with exactly the right proportion of peanut butter to chocolate.* I have a sneaking suspicion that I said that more than once while enjoying dessert. Absentminded, or early senility? You decide!

Anyway, I drove from Springfield to New Haven in about an hour, racing rush hour all the way down. I hit the 91-95 Junction at 5:15 and it was awful. That area is pretty well-designed, considering the circumstances, and its complexities always make me think of thriving arteries carrying commuters through cities heaving for breath. The junction at rush hour was a beautiful illustration of an artery in need of bypass surgery.

So I hopped off 91 into downtown New Haven and immediately hit a wall of brakelights. Ten minutes later, I pulled free of the four-block blockage and struck out East, avoiding signs for the highway, crossing bridges as I went. I had to call Dad once or twice, but I made it through to East Haven and then back to 95, heading always for the darkest part of the sky.

That was my only adventure today; and if I deemed that worth including, imagine what entries I've spared you lately. Stay tuned for a Wednesday blog and maybe, just maybe, a Friday.

Then on Saturday: back to snowy Oberlin and my own sweet Keep!

----------------

* I prefer a ratio of roughly 1:6.

1 comment:

  1. omg zero comments! That's a shame! Here are mine: I've heard that the confluence of I-91 and I-95 in New Haven (there's none other, so that may be redundant) was used in the film The Goodbye Girl (sorry, no underlines are available in this comment format) to portray the very model of a confusing highway confluence. The movie would be worh watching merely for a shot of New Haven, but it's great for a lot of other reasons - Richard Dreyfus, Marsha Mason, and the adorable Quinn Cummings - a sweet movie with snappy dialogue,a nd a real triumph of the will. Don't watch the trailer at imdb.com, though, as it's a *total* spoiler. Cheers, Leni

    P.S. For all Buffy fans - today is Seth Green's birthday - Happy Birthday, Seth!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! (Comments are the best part of having a blog. No lie.)