Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Brief Torrent

Yesterday was a beautiful day, painted, apparently, by a young artist enamored with chiarroscuro: the clouds cantered across the sky; the sun was bold but fleeting. I ran errands, mostly. But running errands is much different carless -- not a chore but a chance to be out in the world.* I biked to Wal-Mart to return some pants in a wind so strong I felt it in my bones. I had to fight the wind to cross the parking lot, and to find more friction I dismounted and walked my bike up to the maw of the beast. It really felt like that. I have been thinking too much lately about Society.

Speaking of: Last night Andrea Gibson came and spoke and I haven't words so I won't try. The performance was amazing. I don't know if I would recommend that you look her up. Poetry, like faith, should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.

Anyway, I wanted to blog today and I might again later but I have an ecology take-home exam due tonight and so far all I've done is look at it and stew.

*Then I went on a compost run in the OSCA truck and leaned out the window like a dog and waved to everyone I saw. So to tell you the truth errands are pretty great carful too.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome (in the literal/classic sense, not the "Dude" sense) - beautiful - and fun! Also things that religion ought to be. Love, Dad

    P.S. I'm sending you a cartoon via a separate email - feel free to share it (so long as you do so without violating the New Yorker magazine's copyright or not revealing my role in said violation)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! (Comments are the best part of having a blog. No lie.)